Feb 10, 2012

Cabinet Organization: Check!

This week Love and Renovations put out a call to arms in the form of an Organize-a-Thon. The challenge involves organizing one area of your home each week left in February and then either post or e-mail her about it. A kind of support group for getting organized. I thought to myself, 'I could use this!'

So, here we are on week 1, and I have shiny, clean kitchen cabinets. Score!!



Now, I know this not the before and after that TV shows are made of, but for me, and especially Folksy Husband it's a nice step up. He nearly refused to ever go into the pots and pans shelf because he hated the deafening clanking that went on trying to get something, and forget about the tupperware shelf. When emptying the dishwasher he'd just leave the tuppers on the counter because of the potential plastic avalanche when putting them away.

Here's a closer look at the bottom cabinet. These are un-tampered with befores, people. I'm gettin' real:

Muuuuch better.  My process started with emptying the cabinets of everything but the food and coffee mugs. Oats helped.


Funny story, see those red-striped popcorn containers in the center of the photo above? Mike and I won them on a mystery theater train ride. All the passengers' names were in a hat, and the MC happened to ask each of us to pick a name out. I picked Mike's and he picked mine! Everyone on the train thought it was rigged! Good stuff. They went the way of the yard sale.

Anywho, I separated out the things that was yard-sale-bound and got to work putting stuff back. Very exciting. It was mostly trial and error, and I think the biggest help was the added space from getting rid of the unneeded. Oats did a little scouting work and gave me the all clear:


Here are a few post-organization snaps:


No more excuses to not put away tupperware!


Small electrics within an arm's reach.

The other horror I tackled was the top shelf of the middle cabinets that is filled with baking goods. Here are the contents before: lots of plastic bags, which are not exactly organization-friendly.


After putting most dry goods in other containers like mason jars and swing-top jars that were hidden in the bottom cabinets before (using stuff and making space, double bonus!) this is what I was working with:


And the baking goods back in their place:


So, now Folksy Husband has no excuse to not put tupperware away, I don't get hives thinking about what could be hidden in there. Win-win!


Next week, it's gonna be a craft-cabinet extravaganza. I'm a little nervous.


(p.s. Bar Cart is coming along, and this weekend is Bar-Cart-a-Palooza oh-twelve. Mike is really getting into tricking it out. There were mid-day brain storming texts, that's all I'm gonna say. ;) )

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm so impressed! :) My kitchen cabinets can get so unorganized sometimes - that Tupperware cabinet is always the hardest to keep clean, isn't it?! Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting organized! Quick question - What do you use to edit your photos with? I want to learn how to do split before & after's and such. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just use PowerPoint! I arrange everything then select all, right click and 'save as picture.' Low-fi, but so far it's been working!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kitchen looks so nice!! It's so much easier to function when everything has a place! Oats is precious! Thanks for your sweet comment on my curio cabinet! This is the first time I've tried DIY chalk paint and it's awesome! I would definately recommend it!

    ReplyDelete