Feb 21, 2012

Fancy's Blueberry Banana Pie

My dad and his partner, Liz, lost their precious, sweet dog last week. She was 16. Fancy, a toy poodle, was given to them by a friend who could no longer care for her years ago, and she fit in with the family from the get-go. In her later years, she became a therapy dog, working with my Dad at his practice. She even came to our wedding in New Hampshire!

My dad and Fancy at our wedding. (Liz is in the blue dress on the right!)

My dad and Liz are understandably devastated (as are we); she was the only kid left living at home!

So how does this tie in? Liz has been making this absolutely delicious pie, aka my favorite pie EVER, for special occasions as long as I can remember, and sent me the recipe a while back so I could make it on my own. I've been meaning to make it, and this past weekend I finally felt like I needed to make it. For Fancy.

This pie was always just called 'blueberry banana pie,' but I propose that it should now be called Fancy's Blueberry Banana Pie. It's soft and sweet, but not sickeningly sweet, just like her :). Also, it's the most amazing pie and she was an amazing dog, although she shared that title with our Oats ;).

It's ridiculously easy to make, the antithesis of an apple pie. You start with these ingredients:



  • 4 oz cream cheese

  • 1-2 bananas

  • graham cracker pie cruse

  • can of blueberry pie filling

  • 6 oz of whipped cream (I whipped my own from heavy cream)

  • 1/4 cup sugar

That's it!

First, slice the bananas

and line the bottom of the crust with them.

Then, whip your cream, if you're making your own.

If you're using the pre-made version, move right on to mixing the cream cheese and the sugar together. I used my stand mixer, but you can use a hand-held one, too. After they're thoroughly creamed together, fold in the whipped cream.

Plop it on the bananas.

Spread it out.

Cover with blueberry pie filling and refrigerate for 2 hours or longer!



How easy is that?? I swear there's nothing in life that gives you a bigger reward for less work. It's insane. I could eat the whole damn thing in a  single sitting. Trust me and try it, you won't be sorry! Fancy's Blueberry Banana Pie is out of this world. Miss you, girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment